Sunday, February 5, 2012

Oven Pancake

During the week, my husband and I go our separate ways at breakfast time since we're rarely getting ready for work/school at the same time. At least one day each weekend, though, I like to make us a nice breakfast. Sometimes I make waffles, pancakes, French toast, or crepes, but the one I make the most is an oven pancake because the dude loves it and it's very quick and easy (a theme with me!). If you've never had one before, it's very good, but not really like regular pancakes because it's much denser. Until today, I'd been making a recipe from AllRecipes, but I decided to try this one from Our Best Bites. My husband likes the old recipe more, but I prefer the new one and think it would appeal to more people, so that's the one I'm sharing. A lot of cooks seem to be very loyal to the recipes they've been using forever, but not me! I have no qualms about switching to a different one if I like it better :o) The new recipe is less eggy and I love the little hint of vanilla that I decided to add.

As for what to serve the pancake with, we love berry syrup (the kind from the farmer's market!) and whipped cream, but things like maple syrup, jam, peanut butter (really!), powdered sugar with lemon juice, fresh berries, mini chocolate chips, and Nutella are all great. The recipe at Our Best Bites includes a recipe for a very tasty looking berry sauce.

Quick note: I always bake an oven pancake in a glass dish, but I'm sure it's even better in a 10 inch skillet! We actually have one, but try as I might, food still sticks to the darned thing and I've given up for the time being. Also, according to Sara at Our Best Bites, you can bake the batter in mini muffin tins and get puffy itty bitty oven pancakes. That sounds really good and I will need to try it soon!


Oven Pancake

2 T butter
2 eggs
3/4 C flour
3/4 C milk
1/2 t salt
1/2 t vanilla extract
toppings of your choice

Place butter in an 8 by 8 baking dish and stick it in the oven. Turn oven to 400 degrees and let the butter melt while you prepare the batter. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. When butter has melted, swish it around the dish to coat, and pour in the batter. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cut into squares and serve with toppings.

Yield: 2 to 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment