Thursday, May 28, 2015

Bubble Breakfast Bake

Regrettably, I'm not sure who to credit with this recipe.  A friend shared the recipe on Facebook a few months ago and I saved it.  I've seen a decent number of recipes like this before though and it's not all that unique, so I'm not sure one specific person can be credited with it, anyway.  Maybe the Pillsbury company since it uses canned biscuits?
Anyway, I made this breakfast casserole a couple of months ago when my husband's parents were staying with us.  I figure it deserves to be on my blog since it's the one thing I've made for my in-laws in 9 years that my mother-in-law has requested the recipe for!  She doesn't enjoy cooking very often, so I was flattered that she wanted to make it.  We liked it enough that I'm strongly considering making it for Christmas breakfast since it's so easy and yummy.
The recipe is pretty self explanatory, but I want to specifically mention that you can't judge whether the casserole is done or not just by looking at how browned the biscuits are!  Raw biscuit dough is gross, so either cut into a biscuit in the center to make sure it's done (just sticking in a toothpick isn't enough), or use a digital probe thermometer stuck into a center biscuit and take the casserole out when it hits 190-200.

You can also supposedly refrigerate the mixing bowl of ingredients over night before pouring it in the baking dish and baking it in the morning, but I didn't do that.  It sure would be handy for Christmas morning, though!
 
 
Bubble Breakfast Bake
 
10 eggs
1/2 milk
1/2 tsp salt
4 green onions, sliced
2 C shredded cheddar cheese
1-2 C chopped cooked ham, bacon, or sausage
1  16 oz can flaky layer biscuits, cut into quarters
Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9 by 13 baking dish.
 
Whisk together eggs, milk, and salt, then stir in remaining ingredients except for biscuits.  Gently fold in biscuits.  Pour into greased baking dish and bake until biscuits are cooked through (cut one near the center with a knife to check) and eggs are set.  I cooked mine for 25 minutes, covered the top with foil so the biscuits wouldn't brown too much, then baked 10 minutes more.
 
Yield: 8 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment